CFA and Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMVic) are introducing fire restrictions for Wellington Shire, starting from 1.00 am on Monday 28 October 2019 and continuing until 1 May 2020 unless stated otherwise.
CFA’s Assistant Chief Officer South East, Trevor Owen said that restrictions are being enforced early again in Wellington to minimise the risk of grass and bushfires being started by private burn-offs or escaped campfires in the current dry conditions.
“The seasonal bushfire outlook for this year has focused on the east as the driest part of the state, with three years of lower than normal rainfall and drought conditions across much of the region,” Mr Owen said.
“It’s critical that residents understand and comply with these fire restrictions to help to prevent bushfires like the ones we saw earlier this year.”
FFMVic Deputy Chief Officer, Beth Roberts said “Our forest fuels are tinder-dry and it wouldn’t take much of a spark from a burn-off or an unattended campfire to start a bushfire.
“We had an example only a couple of weeks ago when yet another escaped campfire became a bushfire north of Glenmaggie.
“CFA and FFMVic crews had a huge season last summer and we want to minimise the risk of another, or worse this summer.
Dr Roberts said both fire services well-prepared to respond to the threat of bushfire with additional fire fighters, new equipment and infrastructure, and an expanded aircraft fleet.
“The community needs to be fire ready early too – especially those living in high risk areas. Fire restrictions are in place for a reason – to help prevent fires from starting,” she said.
“Prepare your property, prepare yourself and prepare your family for fire. Have a fire plan in place and most importantly, practise it.”
To find out more about getting ready for the fire season visit www.cfa.vic.gov.au or call 1800 226 226.