Approximately 40 kilometres of bushfire affected roads near Corryong are reopening this week, restoring access to recreation sites and four-wheel drive tracks ahead of the Easter holidays.
Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMVic) Acting Upper Murray District Manager Kylie Scanlon said: "Our crews and contractors have been working hard to undertake these works and ensure that fire-affected areas are safe for visitors to enjoy."
"The Easter long weekend is one of our busiest times of year with campers flocking to our beautiful forests and parks, so it's great we can make more areas available during this period."
"Our crews and contractors are continuing to clear, stabilise, and repair drainage along hundreds of kilometres of roads and tracks which were impacted significantly by last summer's bushfires."
"Some road closures remain in place to minimise risk to the public, damage to roads and allow further hazardous tree removal and stabilisation works to be completed."
"It's really important that visitors plan their trip in advance to ensure that they have the most up-to-date information about which roads and tracks are open. This is particularly important in remote areas of the High Country which were impacted by fires."
The following key roads are open or planned to open prior to the Easter holidays:
- Mt Gibbo Track
- Surveyors Creek Track
- Mt Baldy Track
- Elliot Ridge Track and intersecting Jeep Tracks
- Dunstans Rd, including access to the Gibsons Hut site
- Shady Creek Upper Track between Dunstans Rd and Mt Pinnibar Track
The following key roads remain closed:
- Wheelers Creek Road between Benambra Corryong Rd and Cattleman Creek Track, and between Buenba Road and Mt Gibbo Track
- Walkers Road between Marginal Road and Mt Pinnibar Track
- Marginal Road between Dunstans Road and Dead Finish Track
- Shady Creek Upper Track between Cattleman Creek Track and Dunstans Road
- Fishers Creek Track
- Sections of the Burrowye area north of Burrowye Creek Track and Red Rooster Track
For additional information about road and track closures visit: www.traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au and www.ffm.vic.gov.au/visiting-state-forests/forest-and-road-closures