western beach which had a real wow factor. Pristine white sands as far as you can see. The tide was in a favour so we drove up and down as far as we were able within the limits of the creeks. We hardly saw any other vehicles or people. An added bonus was a juvenile Minke whale entertaining us a short distance from the shore. This proved to be the most favourite destination for most of the group. Eventually we dragged ourselves away from this idyllic spot to continue around the Northern track, passed the Boomerang lakes and most beautiful forests. The wind became quite strong during the night so not a very restful night, but still a great spot. The next morning we had to delay our departure as it was the highest tide and the waves were crashing right up to the campsite edge. We then set off along the Lake Garawongera track to our last campsite at the historic and sheltered Central camp ground, a beautifully arranged ground with spacious spots amongst towering trees. Having set up camp, we set off to see the Kingfisher Bay resort, interesting but very happy to get back to our homely tents. We had an incredibly quiet night (no crashing waves, no wind) only woken by noisy kookaburras. We then drove to have one last look at the western side, which was to Ungowa. This area is quite differ- ent and very close to the mainland and covered in Mangroves. There was a disused jetty in bad repair. Lake McKenzie was our next stop and a refreshing swim undertaken by some. We had managed to arrive before most of the crowds and then visited the look- out for Lake Wabby, the deepest of the freshwater lakes and one of only 2 bar- rage lakes on Fraser and in the World. The lookout has a great view of the lake and the Hammerstone Sandblow. We then spent quite a bit of time at the Central Station historic area. There were fascinating boards with the history of the indigenous people, timber and sand mining industries, life on the island for early settlers and marvelling at the Wonggoolba creek. So clear you can hardly see there is water in the creek. This was the last night on the island and we had experienced another night of consistent rain. We had planned to visit and swim in more lakes on the Southern Circuit on our way to the ferry, but the weather put a stop to that idea. However we had a unique event to witness, which made up for that, a freshwater turtle laying her eggs in the middle of the sand track. It was an incredible experience to watch. After watching for 30 minutes we tried to make a safe space for her by arranging sticks around her. Fraser Island had been a wonderful experience. Together we had travelled the highways and byways and seen the Island’s beauty in all her glory. Our experience paid off and we had no difficulties but we did need to help someone else driving too close to high tide. We saw about 10 dingoes, mostly on the beaches, who looked healthy but were not disturbed by people. Our one fisherman had a story to tell but no dinner. Thank you to the wonderful group we were able to share this unique experience with. Phil Leach. President ."Off Peak 4WD Club" TRACKWATCH SEPTEMBER 2018 25